EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATIONTHE ACADEMICS
- Personalised International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme, Diploma Programme and Career-Related Programme, for 11-18-year olds
- Flexible or extended Sport & Study timetables to help young athletes pursue both their academic and sporting goals
- English, French and fully bilingual pathways taught by highly qualified and experienced native speakers
- Small class sizes to ensure students get the help they need when they need it
- English and/or French support sessions to help students develop their language skills
HOME AWAY FROM HOMETHE ACCOMMODATION
- A bright and cosy, two-person bedroom with private bathroom
- Power breakfasts, lunches and dinners to boost productivity and energy levels
- Two dedicated study rooms to ensure maximum focus during weekend and evening homework time
- A spacious common room, terrace and large garden overlooking Lake Geneva and the Alps beyond in which to relax in the evenings and at weekends
- Five outdoor sports fields/courts, a triple sports hall and an indoor fitness room to help them stay active and/or relax after a day of learning
- Activities and experiences led by our supportive tutors and caring boarding house parents to ensure the physical and mental well-being of our boarders
- Experienced boarding house parents and school counselor to ensure the day-to-day safety and well-being of our international children
Take a look insideThe Boarding House
FEEL AT HOMEIN SWITZERLAND
Within the boarding house, however, we opt for diversity by capping each nationality at 10%. Our boarders are therefore able to better their multicultural awareness and understanding as they get to know and interact with their international family during their studies. Skills that will put them in good stead when they enter the real world after graduation.
FEEL GOOD &SUCCEED
- international students seeking a bilingual, English or French IB education on the shores of Lake Geneva.
- student-athletes looking for a way into the world’s top universities without abandoning their sporting dreams.
- over 150 artistic, cultural and sporting after-school activities with their Haut-Lac peers and boarding siblings,
- learning and/or developing their skiing skills with qualified instructors from early December until end of March.
- discovering the local area on planned cultural and sporting weekend activities and trips,
- or simply enjoying some free time with their extended family in the comfort of the boarding house.
08:10 – 08:25 – Registration & Tutor time
08:25 – 12:10 – Lessons
12:10 – 12:50 – Lunch
12:50 – 15:25 – Lessons
15:40 – 17:30 – After-school Activities or Study
17:00 – Afternoon Snack
19:00 – 20:00 – Dinner
19:00 – 21:00 – Study, Free Time & House Activities
22:00 – Bedtime / Lights Out
Meet the Haut-LacBoarding Parents
Boarders need a home away from home. A place where the habits of home are embedded into daily activities, where their lives’ milestones are celebrated, where their achievements are recognised, and where they are sure to find a friendly face at the end of an academic day.
A home led by parents similar to their own. Parents who care and provide them with welcoming, structured environment in which to develop their independence and take charge of their lives. Parents who are there to listen, to encourage and to supports each of them on their individual pathways.
9 years leading student expeditions worldwide
7 years teaching Modern Foreign Languages
6 years overseeing boarding houses in Switzerland
8 years leading student expeditions worldwide
7 years teaching English Language
6 years overseeing boarding houses in Switzerland
“Being a houseparent is like having a huge extended family, which I love. Getting to know the boarders and supporting them is not only a great responsibility but also a privilege. Life in a boarding house is great fun, every day is full of surprises and no two days are the same!”
BOARDING FAMILYEVENING & WEEKEND FUN
Our boarding house parents take over with a full schedule of activities and trips for them to take part in. If they’re up-to-date with their work that is.
For no extra fee, Haut-Lac boarders are able to discover new interests and make friends outside their class during activities, such as Laser Game, Karting, Canyoning, Adventure Park, Skiing, Tobogganing, ball sports and archery.
BOARDING FAMILYTRIPS & EXCURSIONS
We’ve also got long weekends and holidays covered, albeit for an extra sum. Boarders who are either unable to return home during term-time holidays can sign up for international and/or multi-day trips to places like Europa Park in Germany, the Ticino in southern Switzerland, Paris and Milan with their extended boarding family.
A HISTORY OFBOARDING AT HAUT-LAC
Rewind to 1987, when Anne-Marie & Neil Harwood and Grainne & Jean-Louis Dubler, our Founder-Directors chose the Swiss Riviera as the base from which to provide young people with a quality bilingual education. There, alongside two of Haut-Lac’s current Senior Leaders, Stevie and Julie McShane, they set up the first Institut du Haut-Lac boarding school.
Students from all over world were welcomed onto its campus, first in La Tour-de-Peilz and then in Mont-de-Corsier, to live and learn in English and French with qualified native speakers. And, of course, experience local and European culture through a rich, extra-curricular activity programme, similar to the one run at Haut-Lac today.
It was only when their daughters reached school age that the Founder-Directors decided to switch focus, and create a day school with the same ethos for local international families.
Together with Rosella Cosso, Haut-Lac’s Secondary Academic Head who has worked with boarders for over 20 years, they will ensure international students and athletes make the most of their studies and time in Switzerland.
ABOUT THEADMISSIONS CRITERIA
- school reports from the last two years as we do for day students
- an additional character reference to ensure they’ll get on well with their boarding house parents and siblings
For more details on the Haut-Lac admissions procedure, simply contact us below